Everybody hates pulling out their clothes from the dryer, and finding dryer sheets in their pockets. Do you use dryer sheets? People usually do, but did you know that they are filled with toxins and harmful chemicals that can damage our health?
But we are in luck, because there are some natural alternatives to there dryer sheets, like using, heath-friendly and green dryer sheets, or simply make your own. It is time to get rid of the dryer sheets and other chemical laundry products.
The Reason to Ditch Dryer Sheets
Dr. Anne Steinemann and her exploration group at the University of Madison wound up intrigued by the fake scents and aromas in clothing items, for example, cleansers and dryer sheet. They led a little report to comprehend the impacts of these aromas. What they realized is that more than 25 VOCs are radiated from dryer vents with high concentrations of acetaldehyde, ethanol and acetone.
How bad is it? Simply envision that acetaldehyde, one of the cancer-causing VOCs, had outflows that equivalent to 3% of the all out acetaldehyde discharges from vehicles in that nearby. To cause this much mischief with clothing is a noteworthy issue.
List of Harmful Chemicals in Fabric Softeners
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) produced a Material Safety Data SHeet (MSDS) list, can help you understand better the harmful toxins and chemicals in your laundry products and fabric softeners can cause:
- Linalool can cause brain disorders and nerve system disorders, loss of muscle coordination and depression.
- Pentane can lead to drowsiness, depression, nausea, dizziness, fatigue and headaches.
- Ethyl Acetate can cause migraines.
- Ethanol is also linked to central nervous system disorders.
- Benzyl alcohol can irritate your central nervous system which can lead to nausea, headaches, vomiting, and dizziness.
- Chloroform is a anesthetic, neurotoxic and carcinogenic substance that can cause headaches, loss of consciousness, drowsiness, vomiting, dizziness, and brain damage.
- Benzyl acetate can cause pancreatic cancer.
- Alpha-Terpineol was linked to brain disorders and nervous system disorders, loss of muscle control, depression and headaches.
Alternatives to Dryer Sheets and Fabric Softeners
There are natural ways that can make your clothes soft and clean, without causing damage to your health, like:
- Chemical-free, scent-free, organic and eco-friendly fabric softeners.
- Chemical-free, reusable dryer sheets.
- Adding half a cup of vinegar to your wash.
- Wool dryer balls.
Try this natural fabric softener!
- 20 drops of your favorite essential oil (peppermint or lavender oil)
- A cup of baking soda
- 6 cups of vinegar
- Put the vinegar in a larger bowl.
- Then add the essential oil and mix well.
- Then you can add the baking soda in the mixture, and let it settle.
- Put it in a jar, or store it in a container that you like.
- Use 1/2 to 1 cup per laundry, instead of your regular softener.
There are also some natural alternatives to commercial laundry detergents that you can use:
- Chemical-free, scent-free, organic, and eco-friendly detergents.
- Make your own detergent with essential oils, grater bar soap, washing soda and borax.
- Nut soap.
Protect your environment and your own health by avoiding chemical-filled, commercial and toxic laundry products, and start using green and natural alternatives instead!