Lemongrass is a perennial plant that has long leaves and a citrusy, lemon-like smell. According to the researches, lemongrass has anti-fungal, anxiolytic, sedative and anti-inflammatory properties. It is loaded with compounds such as myrcene, terpinolene, and citronellal.
Health benefits that are associated with Lemongrass:
- Its essential oil helps with many infections
- Lemongrass is a good diuretic
- Lemongrass is loaded with many antioxidants
- It detoxifies the body
- It helps reduce the blood pressure
- Lemongrass helps deal with joint and stomach pains
- It is promoting relaxation and is helping to deal with anxiety
- Lemongrass relieves headaches
Lemongrass Repels Mosquitoes
Lemongrass has been knows for centuries for it’s mosquito repelling properties. In fact, citronella the essential oil found in Lemongrass is registered with the FDA. The essential oil of lemongrass is widely used in candles, sprays, and lotions. To help repel mosquitoes, plant lemongrass along walkways and in locations close to seating areas.
Studies Prove Lemongrass Helps with Anxiety
According to the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, smelling lemongrass may help people with anxiety. Although some people already inhale lemongrass essential oil to relieve stress and anxiety, researchers still need more evidence to be able to confirm this benefit.